Chilli Jam


About half a year ago we went to a Dutch flower show. Whilst it wasn't as amazing as the famous British flower show in Chelsea it was nice to see the displays of tulips, hyacints and other spring flowers. There was also a little market at the show. We walked around there for a bit and found an English couple that had a stall there with chutneys and cheddar cheese. We tried a couple of the chutneys and my boyfriends eye fell on the chili jam they were selling. It made him remember home, and the chili jam they always have in the fridge there for cooking with and eating with cheese on toast. So when we went home later that day, we took some cheddar cheese and a jar of chili jam with us.


About 4 months later he finished it all. As chili jam didn't sound really tasty to me I never tried the jam out of that jar. As my boyfriend ran out of his cherished chili jam he really wanted some new chili jam. Normally his parents send him the products he wants from the UK and can't buy here, by mail, but this is not easy to send a glass jar over the mail. So I offered to make him some. This time, as I had to taste if the jam was good enough, I did try. And it was lovely. The chili jam I made that day didn't last very long as I started eating cheese on toast with chili jam nearly every day and I had to make new. Also I gave one jar away to my best friend so he could try and he loved it as much as I did. He has been asking for more for a couple of weeks now and as we ran out too I spend today in the kitchen to cook us another bigger batch of this delicious jam.


This post will be this weeks entry for Weekend Herb Blogging. This week it is hosted by Cinzia of Cindystar.


Chili Jam (adapted from bbc good food)
Ingredients

8 red peppers, deseeded and finely chopped
10 red chillies, finely chopped (with seeds)
finger-sized piece fresh root ginger , peeled and roughly chopped
8 garlic cloves, peeled
400 gram can cherry tomatoes
750 gram  caster sugar
250 ml red wine vinegar



Method

1. Tip the peppers, chillies (with seeds), tomatoes, ginger and garlic into a food processor, then whizz until pureed.
2. Scrape into a heavy-bottomed pan with sugar and vinegar, then bring everything to the boil. Skim off any scum that comes to the surface, then turn the heat down to a simmer and cook until it becomes sticky, stirring occasionally.
3. Once the jam is becoming sticky, continue cooking for 10-15 mins more, stirring frequently so that it doesn't catch and burn. It should now look like thick, bubbling lava.
4. Cool slightly, transfer to sterilised jars, then leave to cool completely.

Serve with some cheese, or with with your sunday roast or other cut meats.The jam will keep for 3 months in a cool, dark cupboard - refrigerate once opened. Enjoy!

2 comments:

  1. Sorry I am late but had a very busy week.
    I love jamming, will try this recipe soon!
    Thanks for participating and have a nice w.e.!

    ReplyDelete
  2. excellent recipe, i love chilli jam, it looks delicious, cheers from london

    ReplyDelete